Wednesday, May 29, 2002

 

I think blogspot might be experiencing technical difficulties, so I will keep my fingers crossed that this post gets published. Of course, I have not posted in about seven weeks. Almost two months. I knew this would happen!

Well, the semester is over here and I did actually write a seminar paper that discussed the report cited in my last post. A Nation Online actually did discuss gender issues, sort of. Women and men use computers at about the same rate. Ditto Internet. BUT there was not any discussion of what is DONE online, how much time is spent online, etc. So while the information in the report is actually quite encouraging as far as straight physical access to computers and the Internet is concerned, the quality of this access is not analyzed, nor is there any kind of quantitative analysis of time spent on different activities. OK, to be fair, I suppose such analysis might be beyond the scope of this already quite extensive report (over 100 pgs). But that still doesn't mean that the research needs to be done, and if the U.S. government isn't going to do this work using census data, damned if I know who might!

OK, post & publish time. We'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

*note: yay! seems to have worked ;-)

- posted by laurie @ 5/29/2002 06:17:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment