Sunday, November 17, 2002

 

I just finished watching Vanilla Sky, which is a remake of the Spanish film Abre los ojos, in case you didn't know. I saw the Spanish film when I was living in Spain and I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I bought the movie on video as soon as it was available in the USA for a reasonable price. I did not, however, rush right out to see Vanilla Sky. It got mixed reviews, some friends said it wasn't that great, and from what I heard, it might have been too close to the original to be anythign other than an elaborate "translation," if you will.

I am glad I finally did see Vanilla Sky, but I do think that Abre los ojos is better in many ways. The music is better, for example. I also think that the foreshadowing is a bit too heavy-handed in Vanilla Sky, and that the movie has a mor happy-cherry-optomistic feel to it. I can't explain the latter, it's kind of a gut-level feeling, but Vanliia Sky didn't seem as dark. Pretty movie, though, and I love Cameron Diaz. (I think one of the main critiques of a Salon reviewer was that she was the most likeable character in the movie - a problem when she's supposed to be the psycho-bitch stalker-ex-girlfriend.)

The long and short of it is: if you haven't seen Abre los ojos, do it! It's an awesome, mind-bending movie.

- posted by laurie @ 11/17/2002 04:33:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment