Saturday, November 09, 2002

 

I know it's Saturday night, but I just found smattering.org >> the friday five. Good election-based questions. Here they are, with my answers:

1. Did you vote in your last elections? Yep. I live in Minnesota and am not a big fan of Republicans - I had to vote. Not voting was just not an option.

2. Do you know who your elected representatives are? Um, some of them. I'm not as familiar with state and local elected officials. I just moved here in August!

3. Have you ever contacted an elected representative? If so, what was it about? Yep. Lots of times. Between involvement with Amnesty International, working for Greenpeace, serving as an organizer and Co-chair for the GFTEO (grad student union at Penn State), and being on civil/human rights and political activism listservs (plus the forwards I get from cool friends), I've lobbied, written, called, faxed, and emailed reps in various states (where I have lived - not randomly!) about several different issues.

4. Have you ever participated in a demonstration? Uh-huh. I think I did my first deminstration in high school, in DuPont Circle. It was an Amesty demonstration related to homosexualtiy and human rights. I did a few demonstrations/actions with Greenpeace in Los Angeles (including a mock-funeral at a hardwood-related convention where Greenpeacers, clad in black, processed solemnly with an empty casket - it was pretty cool and generated some media coverage). I went to many, but not all, of the GFTEO rallies, and also went to demonstrations for peace and toerance in the wake of September 11.

5. Have you ever volunteered in an election? What was the result? This is something I actually haven't done, but I might in the future. The results of this week's election really opened my eyes. Time to get politically active again.

My problem with this kind of involvement in general is that I think activism is very important, but I am not entirely comfortable with the visibility and responsibility that often comes with committed activism. I frequently find myself in leadership positions by default, and these are kind of at odds with my personality.

So, those are the long-winded answers to my first-ever Friday Five.

- posted by laurie @ 11/09/2002 08:05:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment