Tuesday, November 26, 2002

 

"The more things change, the more they stay the same?" That's what I am wondering at the moment - there has been an interesting series of posts and responses (including one by me that was knee-jerk and not well-thought-out - sorry again, Shelley) going on at Blog Sisters and at Burningbird regarding "Girlism" and feminism. Check out this post - and the responses: Burningbird: Shutting down the conversation

The comment that really got me: "I try not to read Blog Sisters because it feels like "Maxim for girls", reinforcing the sorts of attitudes which lead to good docile consumers who fit into easily manipulated demographics."

I don't feel this way. At all. Wow.

I was looking for some of the posts that I think counter this (for eaxmple, the critical discussions of Barbie, of girlie and girl-power, of breast cancer research and funding), but, as usual, I'm late, late, so you'll have to hop on over to Blog Sisters and poke for yourself. Maxim, my butt!

And what's this "for girls" crap? Is Maxim for men or boys, d'ya think?

steam is going to start coming out of my ears soon. I'm going to log off and go get ready for school.

- posted by laurie @ 11/26/2002 10:20:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment