Tuesday, November 12, 2002

 

*s* a list of questions from the other side of the traffic stop!
From Lilith Notes:
*******************************************************
Fun (not stupid) police tricks

Definitely one of those jobs where you need to (somehow) retain your sense of humour.

* "So, you don't know how fast you were going. I guess that means I can write anything I want on the ticket, huh?"

* "Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket."

* "Yeah, we have a quota. Two more tickets and my wife gets a toaster oven."

* "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."

* "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or dog?"
*******************************************************
Reminds me of my dad and Eric's dad. I thinnk growing up as the child of law enforcement agents tweaks a person - in both good and bad ways. We're both respectful and polite when we encounter law enforcement officials (it's dumb and counterproductive, no matter what your instincts tell you, to do otherwise), but we're also both pretty resistant to authority, and have managed to talk ourselves out of tickets/into written warnings only. Yeah, yeah, the latter is a good thing from the p.o.v. of the ticketed, but still decidedly not fair. If you're speeding, you're speeding, right? And if you're speeding and get caught you should get a ticket, right? (here's where people start getting antsy).

Call me a freak. I think people should be treated equally by agencies and institutions in this country - it's kind of what we're supposed to be about. That means if I speed, I get a ticket, and if you speed, you get a ticket. But hey, I'm also one of those rare weirdos who wouldn't mind paying higher taxes for better social services and a more equitable society. Makes for interesting political conversations with Eric, who's a confirmed libertarian (of the liberal-left type, not the right-wing type). There'a a bit too much of the blinder-wearing-individualist in the libertarian philosophy for me to sign on with them.

- posted by laurie @ 11/12/2002 11:30:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment