Saturday, April 19, 2003

 

EULOGY FOR LONG-GONE COMPUTER, IN ALL CAPS*

DO YOU EVER GET NOSTALGIC FOR TECHNOLOGY--YOU KNOW; MISS YOUR OLD STUFF, NOT BECAUSE IT WAS PARTICULARLY GOOD STUFF, BUT BECAUSE OF THE EMOTIONAL CONNECTION TO SAID STUFF? I DO. I SOMETIMES MISS CHLOE. LINDSAY KNOWS WHO CHLOE IS--SHE AND I USED CHLOE, IN COMBINATION WITH PRODIGY TO MEET GUYS IN NEW YORK (PROBABLY NOT THE SMARTEST THING TO DO, BUT OH WELL! THE TWO OF US DID AN INORDINATELY LARGE AMOUNT OF STUPID THINGS, AND WE CAME OUT THE OTHER SIDE OF OUR TEENS MORE OR LESS UNSCATHED).

CHLOE WAS MY FIRST--COMPUTER, THAT IS. ;) MY SENIOR YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL, I GOT HER, A TOSHIBA SATTELITE LAPTOP COMPUTER, ALONG WITH A PORTABLE CANON INKJET PRINTER, AS A BIRTHDAY/GRADUATION PRESENT. THE TWO FIT IN MY BACKPACK, THOUGH BECAUSE THIS WAS 1994, THEY ALSO WEIGHED ENOUGH TO GIVE ME A BACKACHE WHEN I ATTEMPTED TO TAKE THEM ANYWHERE IN SAID BACKPACK. CHLOE STUCK AROUND UNTIL ABOUT 2000, AT WHICH POINT I SADLY LOST HER, BUT UNTIL THEN, SHE FUNCTIONED WELL, AND CAME IN HANDY EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, THOUGH I HAD REPLACED HER WITH A DESKTOP IN 1998.

CHLOE AND I BEGAN OUR ADVENTURES TOGETHER SHORTLY BEFORE MY 18TH BIRTHDAY IN LOS ANGELES. WE PROMPTLY TRANSFERRED BACK TO D.C., WHERE I WAS FINISHING UP HIGH SCHOOL. FROM THERE, WE WENT BACK TO L.A. FOR A MONTH OR SO, TO NEW YORK FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS, BACK TO L.A., THIS TIME MAKING THE CROSS-COUNTRY JOURNEY WITH LINDSAY IN A 1O' MINI MOVING VAN, AND, AFTER ANOTHER SIX MONTHS, WE WENT BACK TO D.C., WHERE I FINALLY GOT AROUND TO ENROLLING IN COLLEGE. FIVE YEARS LATER WE MADE THE NEXT MAJOR MOVE, THOUGH WE'D MADE THREE MINOR ONES SINCE RETURNING TO THE D.C. AREA. WITH HUSBAND IN TOW (AND SISTER, BROTHER-IN-LAW, AND HUSBAND AND BROTHER-IN-LAW'S HIGH SCHOOL FRIEND ALONG FOR ASSISTANCE WITH HEAVY FURNITRE OBJECTS), CHLOE AND I MOVED ON UP TO THE BIG 10: PENN STATE. IN HAPPY VALLEY WE FINALLY PARTED WAYS, AND I AM SURE SHE IS IN THE COMPUTER EQUIVALENT OF THE AFTERLIFE NOW. THAT COMPUTER AND I WENT THROUGH A LOT TOGETHER! AND THOUGH I NOW HAVE THE NIFTY-COOL MAC IBOOK, COMING UP ON ITS SECOND BIRTHDAY SOON, THERE'LL NEVER BE A REPLACEMENT FOR CHLOE. SHE HELPED TYPE UP MY FIRST RESUME AND PROVIDED TOURNAMENT-LEVEL TRIPEAKS COMPETITION IN MY DORM ROOM. SHE HANDLED A MAJORITY OF MY COLLEGE PAPERS, AND THE PAPERS OF MANY FRIENDS AND ROOMMATES, AS WELL. SHE MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO SELL MY TYPED-UP COURSE NOTES FOR THREE CONSECUTIVE SEMESTERS:WOMEN'S HISTORY IN AMERICA (1800-PRESENT, I THINK), INTRO TO THEATER, AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE--FOR 'POCKET' MONEY. IN 1996 SHE HAPPILY ACCEPTED THE STEP UP FROM THE CHARITY 24-BPS POCKET MODEM TO THE 14.4 PCMCIA FAX MODEM, AS ADVANCED AS SHE GOT. SHE WENT ONLINE, BUT DIDN'T HAVE THE SPEED OR POWER TO HANDLE THE WWW, POOR THING. GRAPHICAL BROWSERS WERE JUST TOO NEWFANGLED FOR MS. CHLOE TO DEAL WITH. GETTING EMAIL THROUGH PINE IN A TELNET WINDOW WAS JUST FINE WITH HER, THANK YOU. IF ONE COULDN'T GOPHER IT OR TELNET IT, IT WASN'T WORTH IT :)

WHILE I OFTEN MISS CHILDHOOD TECH (LIKE – ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER THESE – MERLIN, SIMON, "I TOOK A LICKIN' FROM A CHICKEN" – I SWEAR I OWNED THAT; IT REALLY EXISTED), IT'S MY FIRST LITTLE (BIG, HEAVY, PONDEROUS) LAPTOP THAT I MISS THE MOST.

*caps because I was doing something that required them - and taking occasional pauses to write this, which is silly randomness, but hey! would ya really expect anything different at this point in the game? If so, you've gotta be a new reader ;)

- posted by laurie @ 4/19/2003 03:27:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment