Friday, April 04, 2003

 

Lindsay posted her answers to this week's Friday Five last night, reminding me that I haven't done one in months! I will take a brief break from transcribing my observation notes from my first research project observation session in order to answer them - here goes . . .

1. How many houses/apartments have you lived in throughout your life?
Fourteen, I think, but that's not including my college dorm and my dorm/group hose from when I lived in Spain or the houses my parents had during non-custodial periods - which I spent long vacations at but can't really consider places that I "lived." I honestly don't know the purchase date of one of those houses well enough to say whether or not I ever "lived" there or just vacationed.

2. Which was your favorite and why?
That's so hard to say: my Dad's current house is this huge custom-built thing that backs on a canyon, and it has some very beautiful fetures and a gorgeous view. I also think fondly of "the house on Chilton," the house where I lived for eight years, the longest I have ever in my life lived any one place. That house, more than any place, was home to me. I grew up there, knew the neighborhood and the neighbors, and had a lot of fun times while living in that house, and I think that makes it my favorite.

3. Do you find moving house more exciting or stressful? Why?
Oh god, stressful. I would do anything anything anything to be able to stay in one place for the whole time I am here in Minnesota. I am sick unto death of moving every damn year. Eric and I had a nice three-years-in-one-place stretch in Maryland, but other than that, I've moved every 6 months to a year since I was 17. I bet it averages out to about one move a year from age twelve to the present. And when mom moved out of her apartment into the nursing home (she's got MS, and it progressed to where she needed that level of care by the time I was 20) she gave me all of her stuff. Furniture, baby stuff, family trinkets and so on. I have so much junk, so many books, and so much furniture that I dread moving. Of course, me with the bad back and the bad shoulder, I just pack it all - Eric the big, strong husband has to lug it all from place to place.

4. What's more important, location or price?
I'm in graduate school and Eric works retail. Price. Period. Hands down, no questions.

5. What features does your dream house have (pool, spa bath, big yard, etc.)?
All of the above? Lots of bedrooms - one for the study, one for the computer/gaming room, one for the kitties :), one for the baby (no heart attacks please - I meant at a LATER point). I also want a porch on the front and a patio or deck on the back, and a tree-enclosed back yard like the "house on Chilton" had. That rocked. Definitely in general enough room for doggies, kitties, children, and all of the associated toys. Geez, should I sign up for the white picket fence and the gingham curtains now, or what?

- posted by laurie @ 4/04/2003 11:55:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment