Friday, May 02, 2003

 

making up for lost time

It's very definitely the end of the semester, so my bloggin has been, well, sparse! So, today, I'm making a little time to blog. First things first, the Friday Five: This week's is all about songs, which is somewhat appropriate, cosidering that I am knees-deep in a project about intellectual property and filesharing applications - like the ones used to trade MP3s.

1. Name one song you hate to admit you like.

Don't know the name of it, but there's a Backstreet Boys song that I danced to on a stage with a group of friends at Carnival in Cadiz, Spain. Normally I can't stand boy-group pop, but that song brings back good memories of the experience.

2. Name two songs that always make you cry.

Cheese factor ahead!
"Wind Beneath My Wings" does it every time. Random Sarah McLachlan songs and 10,000 Maniacs songs do it, too, sometimes.

3. Name three songs that turn you on.

Hmm, this one's kind of hard. I really can't think of anything in particular, except MC900 Ft. Jesus, "But if You Go," for purely associational reasons.

4. Name four songs that always make you feel good.

"New York City" by They Might Be Giants
"Don't Let's Start," also by They Might Be Giants
"Bubbletoes" by Jack Johnson
"Ice Cream" by Sarah McLaughlin

5. Name five songs you couldn't ever do without.

"Spiralling Shape" by They Might Be Gaints
"If I Only Had a Brain" by MC 900 Ft Jesus
"Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes
"Screenwriter's Blues" by Soul Coughing (which I am , currently, doing without because my Ruby Vroom CD went missing some time ago)
"Crush Story" by Too Much Joy (another thing I need to replace - the tape I have had since 9th or 10th grade is starting to show signs of repeated playback and many seasons of extreme temps in my car)

Oh, thank god (insert big heaving sigh of relief here)

I have been looking frantically for my copy of O'Reilly's Peer-to-Peer: Harnessing the Power of Disruptive Technologies for several days now. I scoured the apartment. I checked my office a thousand times. Convinced it was lost, I checked the library. Nope, they don't own a copy. So I headed to Barnes and Noble. My local B&N didn't have it, and a call to the downtown store (most likely to have computer books according to the associate) revealed that they don't, either. But if I specia-ordered it, I'd get it for less than $8.00 - it's a bargain book now (because it's a computer book that's two years old). Peeechy - I need it desperately for the filesharing paper due Monday. So, I came home and looked through the apartment again and decided to check all unused briefcases, backpacks and purses. Sure enough, the book was nestled securely in a purse that was hanging in the closet - a purse I haven't used for months. *whew*

Another self-congratulatory post

Yay! I got my accpetance letter to the Feminisms and Rhetorics Conference today. So, this is the year o' conferences. C's this past March, the Penn State Conference on Rehtoric and Composition in July, and then the Association of Internet Researchers and the Feminisms and Rhetorics conference in October. Yep, both in the same month, and they are, in fact, a week apart from one another. Blech! And the proposal for C's for next year has to be sent in today - we'll see how that one goes.

So, this is the conference year, and I'm hoping that next year will be the publication year, but again, we'll see about that.

gotta go get stuff done now! All of that is far in the future, but the last week of class looms much more menacingly on the horizon . . .

- posted by laurie @ 5/02/2003 06:04:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment