Friday, July 25, 2003

 

A Mini Book Review, for No Good Reason

Has anyone out there read Spindle's End by Robin McKinley? It's not a new book by any means, it's just the non-academic book I've read most recently. I love fairy tales, and especially enjoy McKinley's retellings - good tales that don't feature weak, limp princesses and conventional gender roles. Spindle's End is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, and while I didn't enjoy it as much as some of her other fairytale novels, I think the book is a wonderful read. Practical fairies, a tomboy who's really a princess, and a whole host of friendly animals populate this novel. Good summer reading for those who like fantasy tinged with a bit of the sensible.

Well, there's one item off the summer reading list. I've still got whole stack staring at me, and it's almost August!


- posted by laurie @ 7/25/2003 02:56:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment