Friday, October 10, 2003

 
Friday Five

The relatives just left, and of course the first thing I sat down to do upon their departure is check the referrer logs and write a post. This week's FF is all about sports - not my favorite topic, but here goes:

1. Do you watch sports? If so, which ones?
Hmm, not really a big sports person. When the University of Maryland does well in basketball and makes it to the NCAA tournament, though, I turn into a rabid fan. I've even been known to head to a sports bar to watch the Terrapins on a big screen TV. I also watched football at Penn State while I was in graduate school there, mainly because ALL my students were into football, and I had at least one football player in my class every semester I taught freshman composition.

2. What/who are your favorite sports teams and/or favorite athletes?
Other than the MD Terrapins, I really have no favorite sports teams. Growing up in the D.C. area, I had to, at some level, be a Redskins and Orioles fan, but that was more of a passive acceptance of popular local teams than anything else. Cal Ripkin, of course, during his prime, was just about everyone's favorite baseball figure, but again, more of a passive acceptance on my part than anything else. As a general rule, I like watching women athletes kick butt.

3. Are there any sports you hate?
I don't actively hate any sport. I think golf and baseball are tedious to watch on TV, but I like watching baseball games live. I've never been to a live golf event and I've never played golf, so I can't say whether I dislike golf generally or just on TV. I think pro sports in general are over-hyped, especially basketball, and so I don't get into them much.

4. Have you ever been to a sports event?
I have: on the pro level, I think the only event I've ever been to (as far as I can remember) is a hockey game. Oh, and I did see Real Madrid play while I was in Spain. I went to an Army-Navy game once, when I was really young. I lived in Annapolis, and my parents took me, though I was too little to really remember much of the game. I went to a diving competition at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, and I've been to a variety of high-school and college intramural softball, baseball, basketball and field hockey games.

5. Do/did you play any sports (in school or other)? How long did you play?
I'm not an athletically inclined individual. I like playing softball and volleyball, but I'm not very good at either, though I played on a softball team in elementary school. I did gymnastics for about a year in elementary school, and track for a very brief period in junior high. That's about it.

- posted by laurie @ 10/10/2003 08:15:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment