Wednesday, February 25, 2004

 
The Creatures From the Sandwich Shop - Behind the singing rodents in the Quiznos ad. By Seth Stevenson

Have you seen the Quiznos ad with the rodent thingies? I 've seen it multiple times now, but the first time I encountered the ad, I instantly thought of Joel Veitch's Rather Good. Being the IP/Copyright person that I am, I instantly wondered if Veitch was involved, and if he wasn't, if he should have been. Anyway, while checking my hotmail today I came across precisely what I was looking for: Slate's ad report card for the advertisement.

What did I learn? Well, the rodent things are called spongmonkeys. And both Quiznos and Slate's ad report card folks have received a lot of feedback related to this particular ad. People either love it or hate it. Personally, I liked Veitch's work, so I like the sub ads. They're quirky, and the spongmonkeys are cute in a very odd, twisted sort of way. What I didn't learn, exctly, is if/how Veitch was involved in the creation of the ad. Nothing is stated anywhere on the main page of his site, but dig a little deeper into the FAQ, and you see that indeed, he states this is his work. Good deal.

- posted by laurie @ 2/25/2004 09:58:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment