Monday, June 14, 2004

 
Saved!, (in)tolerance, and the IMDb discussion boards

I have been intrigued by the media coverage of Saved!, and so decided to see if it happened to be playing anywhere near me (and it is, through tomorrow). I looked up movie times via the IMDb, and out of curiosity, checked out the user reviews. Not a lot there, but a thread on the message board caught my attention. There's some trolling going on (and the thread title itself may be seen as baiting other members), and a deleted comment makes me think perhaps there was some flaming, but in general, this was a kind of interesting thread - in part because the participants weren't simply like-minded individuals who achieved ego-stroking consensus and mutual agreement. There's not a ton of hostility, either. And that makes me feel better about online spaces like this. At a time when it seems that our society seems to be more and more divided into clumps of like-minded people who very infrequently engage with those who may perceive the world differently, a thread such as this one is a happy random find, indeed.

- posted by laurie @ 6/14/2004 04:29:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment