Saturday, September 25, 2004

 
Checking in . . .

It's been just over a week since I wrote, and so I though I would check in here, mainly to let folks know that yes, I am still knocking around, and nope, no baby as of yet. My due date is Monday, but the midwife I saw on Thursday did remind me that the "due date" was really a "due month," with a baby's probable arrival falling into a timeframe of between two weeks before and two weeks after that one, 24-hour-long "due date." So . . . sometime within the next sixteen days, one way or another.

Everyone's getting anxious, edgy. Eric has confessed to chronically patting his pockets to make sure his cell phone is on his person, and instantly asks if I'm ok any time I call him. I've spoken to my mom on the phone just about as many times this week as I generally get to in a month, Eric's parents are making weekly or twice-weekly attempts to contact us and make sure they're not grandparents yet, our housemate's mom, even, is checking in for regular updates, and various friends and relatives are constantly asking, "so . . . is there a baby yet?"

In the meantime, I have teaching that's keeping me busy, and two book reviews to get cracking on (which is fun, because I am still functionally impaired when it comes to memory, synthesis, analyis, and critique of academic stuff). My brainpower and attention span have so been sapped by the final stages of pregnancy that I had a difficult time focusing on a Terry Pratchett novel Eric handed me earlier this week - and that's very light, fluffy stuff, but I couldn't get through the first three pages. I am trying not to read anything I haven't read before until after the baby comes (academic or otherwise, email and student texts being the exceptions), and I go from having a hormone-addled brain to suffering from the much more familiar sleep deprivation. People think I'm nuts, but believe me, I know how to do lack of sleep. This pregnancy-induced lack of focus, on the other hand, is a new and powerful beast.

I kind of feel like I'm in a weird holding pattern right now, in some kind of suspension from life-as-usual. I know that'll be over soon, though. Anyway, before I wax too philosophical, I'm going to go. Wish me luck, y'all!



- posted by laurie @ 9/25/2004 11:14:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment