Monday, January 10, 2005

 
On mommyhood and dieting

I'm sitting here finishing up lunch: leftover sugar peas and some tempeh, lightly pan-fried in olive oil spray and soy sauce. I'm having this wholesome lunch instead of my usual instant mac&cheese or sandwich because Eric and I are giving the diet another go. We've been South-Beaching it since Jan. 2. I'm trying to lose the weight I wanted to lose before I found out I was pregnany AND the baby-weight. Needless to say, I've got a substantial reduction to work on. Eric's trying to shed weight generally, some of which was put on as a result of keeping up with the eating machine I was when I was pregnant plus the weight he gained when he quit smoking this July (what a good move that was, for all concerned - except his waistline, of course!). I think I'm losing weight, but am not sure because I diligently went and got a new battery for our cool digital weight-and-body-fat scale, only to replace said battery and discover that the thing is dead, dead, dead. All it does is read, "ErrO," no matter what I do to it. Oh well, some might say it's better not to focus on the weight (but it's still nice to have a way to measure progress or regression). One of the nice things about dieting this time is that, with breastfeeding, I have additional calorie requirements, which meand that basically I can eat the same amount as usual (or more), provided it's healthy stuff, and lose weight!

I was also able to devote a bit more time to lunch today because today is the little one's first day in daycare. It's a very bittersweet thing. We're only doing about 4 hours today, and only a few days this week, to get the little one used to the provider and to the routine associated with my return to school. But I miss her! We have found a good provider, and I think it will be a great place for my baby, but at the same time, someone not me or Eric is looking after her, and that's hard. On the other hand, I am really excited to get back onto campus, to start teaching in a classroom, and to be able to regularly interact with adults again. I don't think I have ever been as conflicted about anything before: not moving, not any of the decisions regarding grad school, nothing else.

That said, I have a few domestic and motherly things to attend to before we go to retrieve our little precious. Folding laundry, running the dishwasher, doing some more laundry, umm - pumping so there will be bottles for daycare on Wednesday. I also plan to work on my syllabus, but that's not domestic or motherly. But categories are kind of useless in my life right now - it all gets jumbled together!

One week and two days until I hit the classroom again. Nervous excitement accompanies that thought!

- posted by laurie @ 1/10/2005 11:26:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment