Tuesday, February 08, 2005

 
Sick

"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay,
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash, and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?"

I love that Shel Silverstein poem. And even though the speaker in the poem is faking every symptom, I always think of her when I am "under the weather." Euphemism for, "I'm damn sick." And today I am exactly that. Damn sick. Actually, I am slightly better than I was Sunday night, when everything from the tippy-top of my head to a point somewhere deep in my chest hurt like all-get-out and was, as an understatement, congested. Yesterday morning I pulled myself from the cocoon of my covers, dragged a tissue across my face, went and got the baby, trying to keep her as far from my potentially-contagious self as possible, and called the doctor.

Now, if you don't know, I have an antagonistic relationship with the medical field in general. I spent my childhood on antibiotics, being tested for mono and whooping cough at nearly every visit, being pumped full of asthma and allergy medications and perscription decongestants. None of which I'm sure I needed. And now I am paranoid about antibiotic resistance. All of which is a long way to say, if I'm going to the doctor for more than my annual check-up (or the infinite visits that went along with pregnancy and childbirth, but that's entirely different), I'm damn sick.

So I called my local clinic, where I had interviewed and selected the physician that is to be our family doctor. Remember, dragged out of bed, tissue in one hand, baby in other, puffy eyes, runny nose, losing voice, and just otherwise gross and ill. Called the doctor, and tried to make an appointment. But no, they would not see me until today. Even though they had explained when I did interviews with the doctors that, for illness-related visits, this clinic strove to get everyone seen same-day. They told me I could go to urgent-care (yeah: "can someone triage my sinus infection, please? I know everyone else has waaay more serious issues, but I have been sitting here with a baby for six hours" . . . that nightmare scenario played out in my head, and I didn't want it to play out in reality!), or could wait until their next available appointment, today at 2 PM. Well, we take what we can get, huh?

Of course, yesterday afternoon I started feeling better. I still have no voice and a horrible cough, but I've had this particular brand of illness before, and it tends to start in the sinuses and move downward, ending with gross lung stuff and a lost voice, before it just *poof* disappears. So myabe I'm about done with this. I hope so. Nevertheless, I am still headed off to see the physician today, partly because, yes, while better, I am still sick, and partly because, with less than 24 hour's notice, I would still have to pay the copay, so I might as well get my $10.00 worth.

- posted by laurie @ 2/08/2005 06:31:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment