Friday, May 13, 2005

 
Friday the 13th

Just a reminder, in case you overlooked it. This used to be one of my favorite things, the occurence of a Friday the 13th. As an older kid/adolescent, I decided that lucky number 7 was bogus, and 13 was where it was at: lucky number, best day, etc. Of course, I didn't know then that oh so many nonconformist kids were doing the same thing, making us all into conforming nonconformists. Oh, irony.

Friday the 13th is also a wedding-related joke between me and Eric. As you know, yesterday was our anniversary. Five years. But for the fist few years of our marriage, Eric and I had a terrible time remembering what the date of our anniversary was. The reason for this mental lapse is actually quite simple: we got married on a Friday, and the big joke was that we were not getting married on Friday the 13th. Not sure what was so funny about it at the time, but we joked about this with everyone. So, when our first anniversary neared, neither one of us could remember if we got married on the 12th or the 14th - all we knew was that we had not gotten married on Friday the 13th. I actually had to go look it up - used my Palm software to review the month of May for the previous year. The second year we were married the same thing happened. Thereafter, though, we finally got it down.

We also tend to celebrate the date we began dating more than the wedding anniversary. While we just hit five years married yesterday, our relationship as a whole turned nine years old last month. While five years of marriage is pretty cool, nine years together is much more of an accomplishment, in my opinion.

Well, happy Friday the 13th. Remember, we did not get married on this day.

- posted by laurie @ 5/13/2005 10:15:00 AM
Comments:
Congratulations! On both the 5-year and 9-year anniversaries (although the months may not be the same). That's fabulous!

I'm able to remember my parents' anniversary because the story goes that my dad wanted to get married on April Fools' Day and my mom said absolutely no way so they got married on March 31st.

And that's way too funny about Friday the 13th being the nonconformists nonconformity. I too have been a fan of Friday the 13ths most of my life.

Have a lovely weekend and good luck on your trip (may you have a lead foot and no encounters with cops)!
 
Post a Comment