Monday, December 12, 2005

 
There's no Wikipedia entry for 'moral responsibility' | The Register

Ouch. This Register article is pretty harsh on Wikipedia - and on the larger implications of the false bigraphical entry that has been causing so much furor lately.

I have to admit, I am not a big follower of Wikipedia news, and I haven't read a Register tech article in a while. I am kind of surprised at the tone of this article - and that of other Wikipedia-oriented coverage. I'm also surprised to find the disparaging tone applied to other open-source and open-content projects. A bit befuddled. Not, though, in total disagreement with all that their reportage argues.

Ok, back to my hidey-hole, where I am reading and writing and not blogging.

By the way, anyone out there feel free to answer this: the future of blogging in higher education and the future of academic bloggers - thumbs up or down? Part of my silence here has been because I've been watching the fallout from some school/blog conflicts and related questions (and wondering if being a blogger and an asipring academic is a good mix (and I am speaking practically, not ideally, and I increasingly think those positions are at odds with one another - I know people who blog and have gotten jobs, I know people who stopped blogging and took down blogs when on the market, I know people who have been very wary of blogging in academia generally because of the potential professional fallout).

My two cents. Back to hidey-hole, as promised.

- posted by laurie @ 12/12/2005 10:03:00 AM
Comments:
For better or worse, I've kept my blog up (obviously), and I've been doing fairly well on the market. The challenge for me is going to be finding a place that'll be comfortable with the blog.
 
I forgot to add that it's also kind of fun to monitor your statistics to see if any of these places are looking at your blog. Surveillance and counter-surveillance. :-)
 
Post a Comment